International Women's Day 2022
By Intern Jossi Duda
International Women’s Day is a time set aside to globally celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. The goal is to raise awareness about women’s equality, to advance gender parity, and to fundraise for female-focused charities. The campaign theme for this year’s International Women’s Day is #BreakTheBias, the bias being any unreasoned judgment (conscious or unconscious) that makes it difficult for women to push forward.
The first International Women’s Day was held in 1911 and was celebrated in Austria, Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland. More than one million men and women attended rallies campaigning for women’s right to vote, work, to hold public office, and to end discrimination. Fast forward to now, 2022, and we see that great improvements have been made. Women are now breaking through barriers like never before, becoming astronauts, prime ministers, CEOs of large companies and launching other high-profile careers. Although not all the battles for women have been won, we continue to celebrate their achievements as they inspire us all.
This International Women’s Day we choose to celebrate by supporting female, locally- owned businesses. Here are a few of our favorites here in Lexington!
1. Third Street Stuff & Coffee - Located at 257 N Limestone in downtown Lexington, it's one of the best places to come get work done or just catch-up with some friends. They have a wide variety of beverages, sandwiches, desserts, and a unique gift selection supporting other local businesses/artists. They were named best coffee shop in Kentucky by Business Insider and “best cup of coffee” by Ace Weekly. Try one of their specialty drinks the next time you visit!
2. Doodles - Located right across the street from Third Street Stuff & Coffee at 262 N Limestone. They are eco-friendly and provide a New Orleans inspired breakfast, lunch, and brunch by getting their ingredients from local farms. Not only do they have indoor dining, but they also offer dining on their outdoor patio for customers to enjoy the beautiful Kentucky weather. Be sure to get their beignets and French press coffee!
3. Lexington Diner - Located at 841 Lane Allen Road. They are a relaxed, neighborhood diner serving meals made from scratch with an upscale twist. Karin West, owner of Lexington Diner, has lived in Lexington since her teenage years and comes with a love of food. Her principle to her creations is, “If I wouldn’t serve it to my mom, I won’t serve it to my guests.” Be sure to check out their new menu! It's also one of the few places in town that serves all-day breakfast.
4. The Blushery - Located at 825 National Avenue, this boutique and wine bar is owned by Allison and Dana, has become THE gathering place for women since they opened in 2021. The beautiful aesthetic of the space, complete with wine bar and rose machine, hosts bridal parties, showers and other ladies outings. They also carry the latest fashions! You can shop it online as well, but with its ultimate girly decor, you really should stop in and see for yourself why it's so popular.
5. Violets Boutique - Located in the Chinoe Shopping Center, Violets has been our go-to shop for gift giving. Whether you're looking for the perfect hostess gift, something for a baby shower, or a beautiful piece of jewelry for yourself, you can always trust the ladies at Violets to have what you need. Their selection is always changing and they even offer gift wrapping! We love Violets!