Despite Social Distancing, Love Is In The Air! Here's How to Celebrate!
Updated: Feb 7, 2021
Article by Intern Alannah Molenda
Art Credit: RawPixel.com
Covid has taken away a lot from us, but there's one thing it can’t take...love, even though we are supposed to stay socially distanced, of course.
Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and I’m sure many of us are rattling our brains for the perfect gifts and ways to celebrate with a partner or special friend during a world-wide pandemic. Your typical "baecation" may have to wait until next year. On the contrary, some of us like to share our love in abundance with a girls' night, or a kickback with the guys. The only question is, "What can we do while maintaining the 6-feet rule?" As for the rest of us lone wolves, we might be searching for the right way to cater to our own needs this Valentine’s day. A little self-love never hurt anybody. But what exactly is there to do?
This holiday is always a little stressful as we put so much into it to ensure that it’s perfect for the ones that we love, so this year your mind may be feeling a bit overwhelmed. Luckily, if you’re spending Valentine’s Day in Lexington, KY, I’m here to inspire you. Keep reading, and may you successfully celebrate love, despite the pandemic, this upcoming Valentine’s Day.
Can’t keep a distance from your special honey? Here’s a few ideas:
1. Stay in, turn on a classic Rom-Com, and enjoy some of Lexington’s Sweetest Treats. I think we can all agree that there’s no better way to show your love on Valentine’s day than with a sweet treat for your Sweet Treat! If you’re sure that chocolate is the way to your partner’s heart, you definitely want to check out these Lexington locals on Insta: Sweet Chocolate Confetti, Amy’s Cakes N Cookies , and Lexington Brownie Bae.
Photo Credit: Sweet Chocolate Confetti, Amy's Cakes N Cookies, The Brownie Bae
For more cakes and more hand-crafted sweets, I highly recommend: Martine’s Pastries, Mrs Rogers Popcorn & Sweet Shoppe , Bluegrass & Buttercream , and Desserts by Rebecca. These treats surely will not disappoint! Take a look at their pages for more info and order details.
Photo Credit: Martine's Pastries, Bluegrass & Buttercream, Desserts by Rebecca
2.A fancy night out. While maintaining a social distance, there are still some great activities that you and your partner can participate in this Valentine’s Day. Purchase a ticket to the Mardis Gras themed ball at The Kentucky Castle on February 13th at 7:00 p.m., where you and your partner will enjoy live music, farm-to-table cuisine, and champagne! If that’s not your style, grab your partner, put on your finest outfit, and book your Dinner for Two at Mirror Twin Brewing and Rolling Oven on February 1th at 7:00 p.m. Your special dinner will include a four-course meal, with your preferred choice of bottled wine.
Photo Credit: ScoutandCellar.com
If you’d rather keep it simple, call and make a reservation at one of Lexington’s many fine dining restaurants. Any of the following would be ideal for a special time out with your favorite person: Dudley’s on Short, Giuseppe's, Cru Wine Bar , Black Soil Cider Brunch at Wise Bird Cider, or Mirror Twin.
3. Relax and unwind. Skip dinner and enjoy a Valentine’s Day full of relaxation and special treatment with your partner. Choose from 3 different couple’s spa packages at Rest Assured Massage and Spa. Book the Couples Sweet Escape for $260. This is a 1 hour and 40 minute service that includes a 20-minute sauna, 20-minute pampering package, lavender foot soaks, herbal neck wraps, Valentine’s secret specialty beverage, 20 different assorted cheesecake cupcakes, finger sandwiches, assorted meats, and a 60-min aromatherapy massage. Book the Couples Heavenly Delight for $360. This 2 hour and 10 minute service comes with a 20-minute sauna, 20-minute pampering package, lavender foot soaks, herbal neck wraps, Valentine's secret specialty beverage, 20 different assorted cheesecake cupcakes, finger sandwiches, assorted meats, 60-min aromatherapy massage, and 30-minute cold and warm stone facial massages. The last option is to book the Couples Pure Explosion for $460. This includes the aforementioned AND your choice of a 60-min mango body scrub or a 60-min hydrating facial with collagen mask! In my opinion, this is the one!
Kicking it with the guys or the girls this Valentine’s Day? This is for you:
1. Girls/Guys night out. Relationships aren’t for everyone, but that’s what friends are for! If you’re over 21 and can social distance, you might want to look into these next few places. Are you and your pals over relationships? Take your group on down to the Soundbar for Heartbreak Karaoke and drinks at 8:30 p.m. on February 10th. Put on your Mariah Carey voice and show them what you’ve got! For the ladies, Goodwood is having a Galentine’s Special on February 10th starting at 11:00 a.m. Grab the girls and enjoy half-price bottles and glasses of wine all day. Visit Tin Roof on February 14th starting at 11:00 a.m. for a Love Stinks, Let’s Drink Brunch. Bring the guys and the girls and have a good time!
Photo Credit: g-stockstudio/Shutterstock
2. Kickback at the house. Sometimes going out is overrated. Why not stay in with your friends this Valentine’s Day? Grab some drinks, a few board games, and order food from one of Lexington’s famous catering services! A personal favorite is Selma’s , where you can order a variety of entrees, appetizers, and desserts. If you’re looking to host Valentine's Day brunch or even a cocktail party, a great option is Dupree Catering & Events. One of our favorite restaurants, Cole's 735 Main is offering two delicious multi-course meals so you can bring the gourmet right into your home. In addition, they're offering wine and chocolate pairings featuring handmade chocolates from Pastry Chef Lindsey Rooks. Preorders will be taken through February 12th for those wonderful options!
Photo Credit: Selma's Catering, Dupree Catering
Self-love is the best love! Here’s how you can treat yourself:
1. Paint and sip. There’s nothing more satisfying than expressing your artistic abilities, and there’s nothing more rewarding than a completed piece of artwork! Ease your mind, and join Painting With a Twist for only $35 on February 14th from 11:00 am to 1:00 p.m. Book your spot now!
Photo Credit: Painting With a Twist
2. Mani/Pedi. Nothing yells, “self-care!” like your occasional mani and pedi. Men, this goes for you as well! Here are some of the best nail salons in Lexington, KY: Nail Bar & Spa , Varnish Nail Shoppe, Lavish Nails.
3. Shop til you drop. Treating yourself comes in many forms, but I think that we can all agree the main form is shopping! Lexington, KY is the perfect place to shop your heart out. For a more traditional shopping experience, checkout the Fayette Mall and Summit at Fritz Farm. Both contain a variety of stores to choose from that are sure to have some specials coming up for Valentine’s Day!
Photo Credit: iStock by Getty Images
If you’re into second-hand and vintage shopping, here are some of my personal favorites: Street Scene , The Domestic , Vintage Therapy. You’re sure to find some cool pieces in one of these stores. If you’re up to it, and ready to spend on yourself, I say go to all of them!
Photo Credit: Street Scene Vintage, The Domestic, Vintage Therapy Lex
We simply cannot discuss shopping in Lexington without plugging some of Lexington’s most favored fashion boutiques. Stop at one of these places first, and find a cute dress or a new pair of shoes to wear on Valentine’s Day: Calypso, Peplum, E.Leigh’s Contemporary Boutiques. If street fashion is more of your thing, I strongly recommend stopping in Oneness. Treat yourself to a fly set of sneakers!
In closing, Covid will not stop the spread of love this Valentine's Day in Lexington. Now that we have some ideas on how to spend the day with our special someone, our friends, or by ourselves, get to booking, planning, saving, and making those reservations! May everyone have a Happy Valentine’s Day this year, and maintain your social distance!
The KY Tastebuds