Calling All Momma’s-To-Be: Activities to stay in tune with your baby, mind, and body.
Article Written by Alannah Molenda
As an expecting momma, I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say that this is a very confusing, and awkward time to be pregnant. (P.S. I know there’s a lot of us because of the “quarantine baby boom”.. Yikes!) In some ways, I wanna say that this is the best time to be pregnant. I say that because our options are limited as far as where we can go, what we can do and who we can associate with, especially in regards to Covid-19, so there’s a lot of relaxing time. However, at the same time, it feels like the worst time to be pregnant because there’s almost this underlying feeling of being trapped. It’s hard to connect with the mind, your body and growing baby when activity, communication and stimulation are so limited.
Doctor appointments aren’t complete without your other half, and baby shopping is primarily done online to avoid stores. Joints are becoming extra stiff from sitting at home on the couch, and exercise is great but we are advised to stay away from the gym. Social time with friends and family is minimal, as we must maintain a social distance. Baby showers are being cancelled left and right, and the list just continues to go on… Am I right, or am I right?
Luckily, I had hit my breaking point, and began searching for ways to get out and enjoy my pregnancy, even with the restraints of Covid-19. I also came up with a few stay-at-home ideas for myself, and some activities that helped me. If you're an expecting mother, living in Lexington, you may want to keep reading…
Below is a list of local businesses and activities to help get you through your pregnancy:
1. Baby Moon Lexington: This beautiful business is open, and ready to cater to your prenatal needs with a variety of services that can be scheduled online, like:
● Childbirth & Preparation Classes: Birth Preparation, Birth Partner Bootcamp, Baby Preparation, Car Seat Safety, and Breastfeeding Consultation.
● Yoga & Fitness Classes: These included Prenatal and Postpartum yoga. For those of you that would like to get out of the house, these classes are offered in person within small groups. However, if you’re an indoor momma, you can enjoy these classes online through Zoom.
● Massage Therapy: This is my personal favorite service offered at Baby Moon. For single massages, you have the following options: 60 minutes, 70 minutes, 90 minutes, facial rejuvenation, hot stones, and specialty massages. In addition, you can personalize your massage with spot and pressure preferences. If you’re looking for routine massage therapy, you have the option to choose from a variety of massage packages that include multiple visits for your desired amount of time.
2. Baby Belly Pregnancy Spa: This local business is the perfect place for mommas looking to treat themselves to a luxurious spa day, including the opportunity to see your little love. Below are the services offered:
● Massage Therapy: You have the option of a Perfect Pregnancy Massage (60 minutes), the Ultimate Pregnancy Massage (90 minutes), and a Preconceptual Massage (60 minutes). For additional fees, you can add more time onto your massage, or the option of an enhancer.
● Belly Casting: This is where a therapist creates a cast replica of your belly, so you can remember your bump forever.
● Organic Spray Tan: Enjoy a natural, healthy, long lasting tan to boost your pregnancy glow.
● Reviving Leg & Foot Treatment: 25 minutes of relief to those aching legs and feet that us pregnant mommas have to endure. This includes a Sugar Scrub, Peppermint Tea Tree Foot Balm, Arnica Gel, and a gentle massage to reduce swelling and boost circulation.
● Butter Me Up Baby: This is listed as the “mother of all treatments” for dry, itchy skin. With the use of Mama Mio products, you will receive a head to toe exfoliation and moisturizing treatment. A light massaging technique will be given to stimulate endorphins.
● Yummy Tummy: Yummy Tummy is the perfect service for those who are fighting off the dreaded stretch marks. When booking this service, you will receive: the application of Stretch Mark Oil with Borage Seed Oil that has the highest concentration of gamma linolenic acid. The application of these products is followed by gentle skin brushing, done to exfoliate and improve your skin tone. You will also receive a deep treatment mask that aids in moisturizing your tummy. During all of this, enjoy a leg and foot massage.
● Ultrasounds: With all the down time during Covid, Ultrasound appointments feel like they’re years away. Save the wait, and visit Baby Belly Pregnancy Spa. Baby Bella offers several ultrasound options, including: 2D Ultrasound, 3D/4D Ultrasound, and HD Live Ultrasounds.
3. Lexington Fit4Mom: Calling all fit mommas! Lexington Fit4Mom may be the place for you to get the best out of your prenatal workouts.
● Fit4Baby Class: This is a full workout program for expecting mothers. It is planned to strengthen your body for all of the changes that it will undergo during pregnancy. Class includes: balance training, cardio, strength, and flexibility. Fit4Baby is taught by a certified trainer to ensure that moms are exercising safely. If you prefer working out from home, you can even do this program virtually!
For my stay-at-home expecting mommas, here’s a few fun activities that have worked for me:
1. Let’s get Crafty: I like to think of myself as a creative. I love drawing, painting, crafts, and anything that requires hands-on activity! Here are some crafty things that I have done to occupy my time, stimulate my mind, and cater to my needs as an expecting mother:
● DIY Nursery Paintings: Find some cute Pinterest inspo, match your nursery theme, and spend the day painting away for your little one. In my personal opinion, DIY is the best type of decor and brings originality to your home! Not to mention, your little love can keep it forever. All you need is: Canvas board, acrylic paints, brushes, a tarp (for painting on), some music, and the perfect mocktail recipe.
● DIY Baby Book: Yeah, of course you can buy a pre-prompted baby book online, but why not just make one yourself? Not only will it occupy some time and spark creativity, but it also will be the best gift for your baby in about 10 years (even though we want them to stay as babies forever). A baby book is where you can share all of your happy thoughts, pictures, and milestones throughout your pregnancy, as well as your baby’s beginnings. All you need is: a scrapbook, some colored gel pens or markers, scrapbook stickers, pictures (ultrasound pictures are the best), and anything small that has meaning (and can be kept in a book) from your pregnancy.
2. Prepare for Baby: You can only clean so many times when you’re cooped up in the house. Put the broom down, and start finding fun ways to prepare for your little one. Even if your due date is a few months away, you can never be too prepared:
● Create a Registry: If you haven’t already done so, take some time each day to add a few items to your registry! Throughout your pregnancy and as you start to become more excited for the arrival of your baby, you will think of more and more things to add to it. For example, I started my registry 4 months into my pregnancy. Now, my baby shower is in 1 month, and I’m still adding to it!
As far as where to register, I highly recommend Babylist (get the Babylist App). This app/site allows you to add products from any website/brand. Once you add a product, Babylist provides the link to the product site, the price, and all the details (size, color, etc.). You also have the option to organize your registry into product categories to make it easier for viewers. Once you’re ready to send out your registry, you just share the link or have your viewers look up your name on the Babylist site. It’s the best!
For new mommas, here’s a list of 10 unique, must-have items to add to your registry:
1. Baby Brezza Formula Maker/Dispenser
2. Doona All-In-One Car Seat & Stroller
3. Halo BassiNest Swivel Sleeper
6. Hatch Grow Smart Changing Pad
7. Owlet Smart Sock Baby Monitor
8. Munchkin Pacifier Portable Electric UV-Sterilizer
9. Baby K’Tan Original Baby Wrap Carrier
10. Mommy Bag Diaper Bag Bundle
● Decorate/Plan Baby Nursery: If you’re like me, the nursery is currently the most important room in the house. It has to be PERFECT, so there’s no such thing as too soon to start planning! Since Covid has limited our in-person shopping desires, here’s a few of my favorite sites for nursery decor and necessities:
3. Relaxation for Body & Mind: As an expecting mother, one of the most important things that you can do is relax, especially as you get further into your pregnancy. The constant aches, stretching of the skin, and extra pounds can really put a toll on your body. Those factors combined with the stresses, hormones, and overwhelming feelings of becoming a mother can be overwhelming. Maybe you should try this:
● Journaling: Sounds cliche, I know… However, now’s the time to start if you never have! There are several benefits to journaling while pregnant. Use it to write down your thoughts, your feelings, your wishes, and questions about yourself and the baby. This can be a way to track your emotions during pregnancy, as well as your symptoms. Better yet, look back to your journal when it’s time for your next visit to the doctor, so you know exactly what questions and concerns to ask about. Make it even more enjoyable by purchasing a fancy journal, and some glitter gel pens!
● At-Home Spa Day: Going to an actual spa may be the preferred option, but in these conditions you certainly can find a few ways to bring the spa to your home:
1. Oatmeal Bath: Nothing can soothe the dreaded itch and dryness from the stretching of your skin like a warm (not hot) oatmeal bath. An oatmeal bath has the properties to soothe dry skin and inflammation. All you need is a box of uncooked oats. Blend your oats in a blender to turn them into a powder (colloidal oats). Mix them in with your warm bath water, and soak. If you don’t have a blender, you can get Aveeno 100% Natural Colloidal Oatmeal to mix with your water. Next, all you need are some candles, a few rose pedals to soak in the water, and your favorite tunes to set the mood. Follow up with a good belly rub-down with your desired moisturizer. This is the key to ultimate relaxation.
2. Face Masks: If you’re one of the luckier expecting mommas, your skin is probably glowing like never before. As for the rest of us, the hormones are taking over. The best cure for troubled skin and stress? A face mask. Head to your local beauty store and find a mask that best suits your skin’s needs. Apply it before your bath or afterwards, while binge watching your favorite Netflix show. This is sure to leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed.
3. Mocktails: Since we can’t enjoy the typical Bloody Mary or glass of wine, find a good mocktail (non-alcohol) recipe! You can find tons of delicious recipes online, but my personal favorite is a Lemon Blackberry Mocktail. All you need is: fresh blackberries, sugar, water, lemonade, fresh lemon, seltzer, and mint. Here’s how to make it: (1) Mash or blend ½ cup of black berries. (2) Add the mashed blackberries, ¼ cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, and ½ cup of lemonade to a pot and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. (3) Pour mixture over ice into a pitcher. (4) Cut a lemon in half, and squeeze one half of the lemon into the pitcher. Use the remaining half to create lemon slices. (5) Add desired amount of seltzer to fill the remainder of the pitcher. (6) Top it off with some extra blackberries, lemon slices, and mint. This may not create the feeling of a regular cocktail, but it sure does taste great. Plus, we can pretend, right? Add this to your Oatmeal bath, or enjoy it with your face mask!
Ladies, I hope this gave you some insight on how to make the most out of your pregnancy during these crucial times. Stimulate your mind, relax your body, visit one of your local Lexington businesses for mothers, and get ready for the arrival of your new love. I wish you all the best, including the healthiest, happiest pregnancy. You deserve it!!