Fight the Winter Blues with a Little KY Fun.
I hate the cold! I rank it up there with Duke, traffic jams and the stomach bug. For me, the key this winter as is every winter is to fight seasonal depression by finding things to do to keep me energized and enjoying life. So I decided to put a list of activities for Tam and I to stay busy. We may not get to all of them but we're going to give it a shot.
1. Ice Skating - If you haven't done this before, you need to. It's a great activity to do with your children, your significant other and/or your bff's. It's a lot of fun and a little easier than you might think. Lexington is not the only place that offers ice skating facilities. Check out this list of 7 Best Ice Skating Rinks in Kentucky.
2. Indoor Roller Skating - If you don't like ice skating then try roller skating. It's an activity that will remind you of your younger days. I went last year with my daughter and "bumped my rump" only one time. Not too shabby. It took a few minutes to get back into the swing of it but by the end of the night I did the hokey pokey, the YMCA and even the "gator". You are not living until you have embarrassed yourself and your kids at least two times in a roller rink. Click here for locations near you.
3. Square Dancing - Now I have to admit, this was Tam's idea. As a former clogger, Tam decided to broaden our horizons and try square dancing. Let me tell you, it was a great decision. So.Much.Fun. In fact, it's in my top ten favorite things we've done as bloggers. Read about our experience in our latest article Swing Your Partner.
4. Tubing - This is a popular winter sport along with snow skiing but it's one Tam and I have not tried. This year we have decided to visit Perfect North Slopes. Let's just hope I don't fall off of the ski lift. I am not joking.
5. Visit the Mountains - You don't have to travel all the way to Gatlinburg to visit the mountains. Kentucky has a lot of beautiful resorts and state parks that continue to operate during the winter months. Here is a great article from Only in Your State that shares the 7 Best Places to Travel in Kentucky. Which do you recommend we try first?
6. Tour the Governor's Mansion - Tam and I visited the state Capitol last year as a recommendation from The Kentucky Bucket List written by Michael Crisp. This year, we are going back to tour the Governor's Mansion. For more information on what our great capital city of Frankfort has to offer, read our blog, A Capitol Idea! It's a wonderful place to visit.
7. Rock Climbing - I am still on the fence about this idea as I am extremely afraid of heights but Tam is convinced I can do it. Rock climbing is good exercise and an activity the entire family can enjoy. There are several places in Kentucky that offer indoor walls. Click here for a complete list. And if anyone knows a great doctor, please let me know. I have a feeling I may need meds for this.
8. Tour the Toyota Plant - As a former employee of Toyota, I can't say enough good things about the magnificence of car building. From the die cuts to body welding to paint and assembly, there is so much to see. Of course Toyota is not the only facility that makes cars in Kentucky but their plant tour is fantastic and quite frankly, I am biased. Tamara has yet to take the tour and I am excited to share this experience with her. I am such a geek sometimes. Oh, and if I haven't sold you yet, just know that the tour is FREE! Check out their tour schedule here.
9. Painting with Spirits - You may not be very artistic but it's amazing how much better you'll be with wine! Painting is so relaxing and a fun way to combat the winter blues. I have attended instructional classes with my daughter several times but this year, Tam and I are going to do it the "grown up" way. I've also heard this is a great couple activity as well. We will be heading to Pinot's Palette in Lexington but for a list of Kentucky places to visit, click here.
10. My Old Kentucky Dinner Train - This activity is what I am looking forward to most. Dinner plus a train ride... what could be better? There are various events taking place this winter season from Valentine's Day to Mystery Dinner rides so be sure to check it out here!
If you have any suggestions for beating the winter blues, please send them our way at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always up for new adventures!
#Winter #Activities #Tubing #rockclimbing #skating #Frankfort #TheKentuckyDepot #train